Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Running while sick

So in my excitement of the last week, I somehow picked up some kind of bug that gives me a low grade fever and dizziness when I stand up.  Oh, and my eye twitches if I stand for more than 5 minutes. Yesterday morning I thought, "Well, I don't have a huge fever and it's not in my chest so I can run."

I was on tap to do 12 miles and needed a change in scenery. I've recently been running at Rails to Trails with my friend Dawn. Check out the Save our Rails to Trails Facebook page here. This a great little trail about 10 minutes from our house that I had never been to before August.  If you live in Savannah, you should really check it out. The view is unbeatable.  I'd put up a picture here, but my phone isn't being compatible with my computer right now... Check out the Facebook page, it has pretty pictures too!

Anyways, I had run there every Saturday for 5 or 6 weeks and had 12 on my schedule for yesterday so I decided to head down to Isle of Hope to get it done.  I slept in because my throat had felt a little scratchy on Friday and took my temp to make sure I'd be alright.  I felt pretty good throughout my whole run... my head was a little "full" at the beginning but I fell into a routine and didn't notice it anymore.  Finished my run, went about my day... as the day went on, I started feeling worse and worse.  I ended up eating some soup for dinner, drank some NyQuil, and passed out for 12 hours.

I've been feeling better today, just tired. I took the pup for a walk downtown (again, I'd show you a picture of how beautiful downtown Savannah is, but my computer sucks.) and really wanted to run another 4 or 5 miles but kept myself in check and stuck to taking a 2 hour nap and grocery shopping.  I've been told as long as your cold  is not in your chest and you don't have a fever, you're good to go.  After testing that theory, while I felt great during the run, the aftermath has been a pain in the butt.  I have been sick for more than a year which makes this even more irritating! Oh well, at least it's not marathon weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Sick for more than a year? How's that? :(

    Good luck with your MCM later this month! I am up in the DC area right now visiting family and the weather is AWESOOOOOMMMMME!!! I love it. Did 3 runs this week. I think the cooler temps gave me a bit of a scratchy throat, but I ran what my half training plan scheduled for anyway. I could not pass this up!

    Take some organic apple cider vinegar! I have been taking some for the past 2 months and have not gotten sick (husband and kid have been sick, and I have not gotten it). I forgot to pack it for my trip and now, I'm a bit sick! Go fig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! Haven't been sick for more than a year! Huge difference! Haha! I've heard a lot about ACV so I may just have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete