Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Weekly update! (With an unexpected sprint workout)

Super confusing, eh?  I was bad this week.  I'm not sure why I didn't run on schedule, but I didn't. I won't make excuses because I really don't have any, even after running I didn't write in my running journal.  But let's talk about what did happen this week.

Miles Run: 9.43
Time Run: 1:40:05
Calories Burned: 1112


As you can tell, I didn't do much this week.  I ran on Thursday, yesterday and today.  Yesterday's run is when all the excitement happened.  I was having a great run.  It was about 60-65 degrees out, no traffic on the road and I was pacing myself so my legs felt awesome.  I decided to go down a road that's parallel to ours and was in the home stretch when I saw a little (I use the term little in comparison to my 65 pound bundle of joy) cocker spaniel hanging out in front of a house that I have frequently seen two large dogs locked up in one crate not bigger than the one Jake has.  I figured the dog was tied up to something and would bark, but I'd finish my run in great finesse.

Apparently little blondie had a different idea.

I knew as soon as I got within 20 or so feet that he/she was not on a lead, then I realized that he/she meant business.  I turned around so quickly and started sprinting.  The dog kept up with me, snapping at my heels for about a quarter of a mile and then gave up. I am so thankful that it wasn't a bigger dog because I really would have been a goner.  The whole time I was thinking, "What would Cesar Millan do?" And I'm pretty sure it would have been the exact opposite of what I did, but instinct kicked in.  I'm also very thankful I didn't bring Jake with me.  He is so happy-go-lucky that he would have wanted to play and then when he would have realized this dog was a jerk, he would have defended me and the big, bad lab/pit mix would have been at fault for picking on the poor, little cocker spaniel.  That's a soapbox I won't get on right now though....

When you run, have you ever encountered an animal that clearly did not want you around?

The point is, I'm safe.  And from now on, I won't go down that road again and I'll be running with pepper spray when I decide to run through neighborhoods again.  It kinda shook me to my core and I had a bit of a panic attack yesterday.  I'm down for running through Bonaventure and Isle of Hope, as well as any of the parks or downtown, but I'm not sure I will trust new routes any time soon.  Too add on to that, I went to lunch with some friends later and some random guy drove up to me as I was walking back (I live about 5 minutes away from Tubby's) asking if I wanted a ride somewhere. I don't understand people, and as one of my FB friends commented on my status after said, it's not like you're just gonna say, Yeah sure! and hop right in.

Today, I needed to do something that would get all my energy out but not tire my legs too much... I still ran a good amount yesterday but had a lot of craziness that needed to get out.  I wasn't up to running outside because I am still being wimpy, so I asked Hubs to join me at the gym for a HIIT run on the treadmill.  He wasn't keen on running, but was willing to go with me so I considered it a win.  HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts are awesome.  I first heard about them from Madeline's guest post on Victoria's blog.  Short bursts of activity that are seriously hardcore.  I did the 25 minute running one but Madeline also has a Triple Threat that I'm dying to try now.  Both of these lovely women are in or around Savannah and I hope at some point I run into them. (Pun intended).  Ha. Ha. Ha.  Hubs did some cycling then hit up the punching bags (seriously, I'm on fire!) I was able to snap a few pictures of his serious punching form.
He is so Bad. Ass. 

Have you ever done a HIIT workout? Share!

On a personal front, Carson's dance recital was yesterday and I really can't pass up the opportunity to show off these two adorable children.  She was seriously one of the best dancers in her class. 

We had a lovely lunch and later met up for the Sand Gnats game, which was so much fun with fireworks afterwards.  Hubs and I have a special place in our hearts for fireworks because of our year in Pittsburgh and how it seemed to be the year that every fireworks display was the "biggest one ever!" They were all certainly impressive and what I measure every other fireworks show on, but we get a chuckle out of Pittsburgh's claim to fame.  

This week is going to concentrate on staying on schedule and realizing the aftermath of a run is always better than the aftermath of my mood without a run. I love running, I just forget that some times!  Hope everyone has a great week!


1 comment:

  1. Gracie you're a wonderful blogger. I love reading these every week. Hope you have better luck running this week.

    ReplyDelete