Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Running in the Cemetery

I usually take 2-3 days off after a 10k.  This past weekend definitely called for 3 days.  By yesterday, I was chomping at the bit to get some extra movement in so I did some yoga while I was at work. It was nice and relaxing but I still was very wired so I was excited when I woke up this morning to run.

I did a three mile loop from my place to Bonaventure Cemetery and back.  Pretty uneventful, it was kind of hot in the sun but in the shade it was perfect which is why I went to Bonaventure in the first place.

There's tons of trees, beautifully draped with Spanish moss.  A few weeks ago, the azaleas were in full bloom and it looked like this:

Photo from Bonaventure Facebook Page

If you've ever had the pleasure of being in Savannah when the azaleas are in bloom, you know they don't last long.  It's kind of like the Cherry Blossoms in DC.  This year from what I hear, there was like one tree with cherry blossoms on it during the festival.  Savannah's Azalea 5k and 10k is in May and they will be long gone by then! 

Anyway, here's a picture I took of Bonaventure during one of my many runs there:
Lots of people find it weird that my favorite place to run is in a cemetery.  It's a little weird I'll admit, but it is incredibly peaceful and beautiful as well.  Bonaventure is ripe with history and stories that are both sad and funny.  I encourage everyone who visits this town to make the drive out of downtown and head to the cemetery, stop by the historical gravestones (Johnny Mercer is among the life-long tenants) and enjoy the view of the Wilmington River.  Here are a few more pictures that I've taken over the past year or so...




I like this idea of talking about the pretty places I run.  I think I'll do a series on it whenever I run somewhere new!  I'm also going to be reviewing running apps for the iPhone.  I have a gazillion on my phone at the moment and just tried endomondo today because FirstGiving, the vehicle through which I'm raising money for autism research for the MCM has a connection with them on their individual web pages.  But that's another entry for another day!


No comments:

Post a Comment